Pages

Search This Blog

4.04.2011

What's your favorite Vocal microphone?

Continuing with our theme of vocal recording this month, I thought I'd ask your opinion.

What is your favorite vocal mic?

I've had great results with a variety of mics over the years but the one that stands out in my mind is the M-Audio Sputnik Tube condenser. For the money, that mic is phenomenal. It's a little dark but there's still loads of detail, and does this sort of natural compression thing when you hit it hard. It's got a lot of character that works great for rock vocals. I'd love to have for my own studio.



Of course, there isn't a mic that's perfect for every situation, for recording crisp voice-over, an AKG 414 XLII is a much better choice. The AKG D5 is a great dynamic vocal mic for stage and studio. In my own small production studio I'm using fairly low cost mics, either a Rode NT1A or Audio Technica AT3035 (replaced by AT2035), one of those mics is clearly better in a given situation and I'm happy to have the options.

One mic I'm dying to try out is the Lauten Audio Horizon Tube Condenser it's getting great reviews.

Let me know in the comments below what your favorite vocal mic is.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I have been using a Sontronics STC 2 and have been extremely happy with the clarity and body response. Also has worked great on acoustic guitars.

Unknown said...

ELAM 251